How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr WLS Your Own Question
Dr WLS, PhD and estate manager
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 483
Experience:  I manage millions in investments, have owned and sold rental property and usually do my own taxes
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr WLS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

foreign investor in reits

Customer Question

I understand that dividend income from a reit is at the normal rates of tax 10% - 35% - however my question is what is the rate of tax for a non-resident and non-citizen of the U.S. is it the same or different? and will the reit company deduct tax at source? and is there reporting obligations for the foreign investor to the IRS? and if there is tax does the foreign investor get tax credits - being married etc. ?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Where is the answer?
Expert:  Dr WLS replied 11 years ago.

I had an answer ready for you last night, assuming you'd be filing a form 1040NR as a nonresident alien, but I deleted it when I noticed that you are actually residing in Israel.

Your questions should be answered by this reference:

W&D | Publications | Articles | Withholding Tax Issues for Foreign Investors in REIT's

As I interpret the above ruling, if the dividends are being transferred to you directly from the REIT or some investment account, then the company or entity making the funds transfer out of the USA is supposed to be withholding 10% from you, and that would remove your obligation to file with IRS. If you choose to go the 1040NR route (which will require a taxpayer ID number), there is an opportunity to claim deductions and exemptions before arriving at the "taxable income", and you may end up paying no tax, if none was withheld. After you have figured the taxable income on 1040NR, which may be zero after deductions and exepmptions, the tax rate scale rises from 10% to 35%, depending upon taxable income from US sources, as you already mentioned.

You can find the 1040 NR form here:

and the instructions here:

Instructions for Form 1040NR (2004)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr WLS's Post: Thank for you for your reply, however it seems that the tax rate withholding should be 25% - as a noresident alien residing in Israel then I think I come under the treaty which states that the rate of withholding tax is 25% - although I am not 100% sure - also apparently this is a final tax and I cannot claim deductions oe exemptions nor can i start at the lower rate of tax of 10% like a US citizen - if you can verify this I would appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr WLS replied 11 years ago.

If this 1999 ruling still applies,

United States Withholding taxes

then you are correct that 25% will be withheld from REIT income paid to you while you reside in Israel. If you had an investment account in the USA, and a US Tax ID number, and the payments were made here, that withholdng would not occur, but you would have to file a 1040NR each year.

There may be some treaty rules that allow you to obtain a foreigh tax credit for your US deductions when paying income tax in Israel. I am allowed to do that with foreign (non-US) tax withholding when paying US income taxes. That is something you are in a better position to find out than I.

For an up-to-date ruling on whether REIT income is being withheld and how much, I suggest you contact the REIT itself, or review what statements are being made on your investment account, if that is where the REIT is held on your behalf.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience