How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher Phelps Your Own Question
Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2710
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher Phelps is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a copy of a lien release

Resolved Question:

I had a lien on my house and it was paid and I would like to get a copy of the release
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.

Ordinarily the IRS will issue a "Release of the Notice of Federal Tax Lien" either within 30 days after you satisfy the tax due (including interest and other additions) by paying the debt or by having it adjusted, or within 30 days after they accept a bond that you submit, guaranteeing payment of the debt.

In addition, you must pay all fees that a state or other jurisdiction charges to file and release the lien. These fees will be added to the amount you owe. Refer to Publication 1450 (PDF), Request for Release of Federal Tax Lien.

If you have not received the above notice within the time specified, call the phone number on the top of the page of the original Lien Notice to get the status.

If you are getting shuffled around or the IRS collection department office is non-responsive, you may want to contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate:

You may call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free telephone number: 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059 or call, write or visit the local taxpayer advocate office for your state. A list of Taxpayer Advocate Service offices may be found in Publication 1546 , The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS, which may be downloaded and printed.

Christopher Phelps and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions