Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
4804

misinformed by H&R Block

Customer Question

Had my taxes done at H&R Block, I was not told by them that I had only 3 years to claim my taxes due to me by IRS, so because I waited to send the paper work in to the IRS, after having them prepared in pleanty of time to get my return, the IRS sent me a notice that I would not get my tax money back. Is it the fault of H&R Block for not informing my of this rule?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 11 years ago.

Most of the time there is a "filing instructions" letter or cover sheet that is provided with a tax return which states that the return should be filed "on or before" a certain date.

Additionally, it is a generally known fact that US tax returns are normally due April 15 of the following year.

I think you would have a tough time claiming that this is their fault unless there are additional circumstances that you have not provided in this post.

[email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: There was no document with my papers stating this, and I was not verbaly told either! So with nothing in writiing shouldn't I be able to get my money back?

I would certainly request a refund. However, I would not truly expect them to issue a refund voluntarily. If they do not, you would be required to file suit to force them to refund your money or to pay you what your tax refund would have been. If you file suit, you would be required to PROVE 1. they failed to disclose the filing deadline to you, 2. their failure was the proximate cause of your failing to file on a timely basis, 3. you would have received the refund in full but for their failure to disclose the filing deadline.

My belief is that you are unlikely to prevail - but that does not mean you couldn't.

[email protected]
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

I work for H&R Block. You should have been instructed at least verbally that you should mail the return before 4/15/05.

If you were not informed, you should call the District Office phone number listed in your packet of papers to complain to the District Manager. If this does not give you the satisfaction you wish, call 1-800-HRBlock to file a complain with the Corporation home office.

I hope you don't feel all H&R Block persons will keep you uninformed because your experience with this preparer was not good for you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX with them and after about a 4 week battle, they agreed to give me back almost half of what I would have got back from the IRS.