How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a copy of my W2s from 1994

Customer Question

The State of Missouri has sent me a bill for individual income taxes for the yr 1994. They have requested that I pay $1035.12 plus interest and additions to the tax equally $2098.49. How do I get W2's from 1994? When most companies and the IRS destroy them after 7 years? I have called the company that I worked for and they said those form have probably been destroyed. What can I do any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

 Missouri is doing this to many people this year.  My opinion is that they lost the w-2 in their files!

You can get a copy of the w-2(or similar report) by contacting Social Security Administration.  Go to or go to the local office.  Make sure to take your ss card and photo id when you go(soon a 3rd id will also be required but not sure when that goes into effect).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: What do i ask the SSA for when I get there? How do they have copies of W2's? Just some question that I have before i get there?

Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

 Just tell them you need a copy of your w-2 which includes the state tax withheld and state wages.  They know what you need.  They may ask you to verify the address listed on the w-2.  They won't have the copy there, it will be sent to your current address.

If they don't have the information, (Certain locations had damage to stored information) contact Missouri Department of Revenue payroll division to see if they can provide you with a printout of your account.  If this shows the withheld tax, you can use that to make your proof of withheld tax.  Missouri makes you do the research even if it is in their own venue!

You may wish to verify that your ss# XXXXX correctly listed on the w-2 for that year.  This is another problem that can exist.

If you used Schedule A for your federal return, sometimes MO will accept a copy of that as proof if you worked ONLY in MO that year.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: This didnt work either the SSA office here in Michigan said that I have been misled. They have NO!!! W2's here and have never had W2's This is getting ridiculous. Is this how the state makes there money by holding us hostage to something that you cant prove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they know you cant prove it. Even the IRS said that this is very usual for them to be just now asking for this 11 years later. I feel theres not a chance to take care of this, but I'm not going down with out a fight.
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago. 

The above link will take you to the SSA site to get a proof of income letter from Social Security.  You can request a copy of your state information be included although it is not always available.

The second link(just above) proves that you CAN get a copy of your w-2 from Social Security.  You just have to have a qualified reason from the list or they may decline.  The charge is 30 to obtain it.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: Last question of the day and I have been happy so far with your answers this is for all the money. I have requested a Social Security Detailed Earnings Statement. Have you seen one of these statements? Because the person in Maryland didnt know for sure what is in a detailed earnings statement? Is this what they get from the IRS with the W2's attached. Sandi I appreciate your time and I will pay after this question is answered.

Do you have a link to a copy of the Detailed Social Security Statement!!!!!!!!   


Go Cardinals
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

 Got my red shirt for the game watching tonite.....LOL!

I have seen the statement, but don't have one now to referrence.  I do not believe it shows the state tax withheld which is what you really need.  It should, however, help shed some doubt as to you owing if your federal withheld tax is in line with your exemptions claimed on your return for that year.  It is a long shot but worth the effort I hope.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions