Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
4804

Can I get a copy of my W2s from 1994

Customer Question

The State of Missouri has sent me a bill for individual income taxes for the yr 1994. They have requested that I pay $1035.12 plus interest and additions to the tax equally $2098.49. How do I get W2's from 1994? When most companies and the IRS destroy them after 7 years? I have called the company that I worked for and they said those form have probably been destroyed. What can I do any help would be appreciated.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

Missouri is doing this to many people this year.  My opinion is that they lost the w-2 in their files!

You can get a copy of the w-2(or similar report) by contacting Social Security Administration.  Go to www.ssa.gov or go to the local office.  Make sure to take your ss card and photo id when you go(soon a 3rd id will also be required but not sure when that goes into effect).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: What do i ask the SSA for when I get there? How do they have copies of W2's? Just some question that I have before i get there?

Just tell them you need a copy of your w-2 which includes the state tax withheld and state wages.  They know what you need.  They may ask you to verify the address listed on the w-2.  They won't have the copy there, it will be sent to your current address.

If they don't have the information, (Certain locations had damage to stored information) contact Missouri Department of Revenue payroll division to see if they can provide you with a printout of your account.  If this shows the withheld tax, you can use that to make your proof of withheld tax.  Missouri makes you do the research even if it is in their own venue!

You may wish to verify that your ss# XXXXX correctly listed on the w-2 for that year.  This is another problem that can exist.

If you used Schedule A for your federal return, sometimes MO will accept a copy of that as proof if you worked ONLY in MO that year.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: This didnt work either the SSA office here in Michigan said that I have been misled. They have NO!!! W2's here and have never had W2's This is getting ridiculous. Is this how the state makes there money by holding us hostage to something that you cant prove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they know you cant prove it. Even the IRS said that this is very usual for them to be just now asking for this 11 years later. I feel theres not a chance to take care of this, but I'm not going down with out a fight.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps6a/BEVE/bv001.jsp 

The above link will take you to the SSA site to get a proof of income letter from Social Security.  You can request a copy of your state information be included although it is not always available.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?

The second link(just above) proves that you CAN get a copy of your w-2 from Social Security.  You just have to have a qualified reason from the list or they may decline.  The charge is 30 to obtain it.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: Last question of the day and I have been happy so far with your answers this is for all the money. I have requested a Social Security Detailed Earnings Statement. Have you seen one of these statements? Because the person in Maryland didnt know for sure what is in a detailed earnings statement? Is this what they get from the IRS with the W2's attached. Sandi I appreciate your time and I will pay after this question is answered.

Do you have a link to a copy of the Detailed Social Security Statement!!!!!!!!   

Go Cardinals

Got my red shirt for the game watching tonite.....LOL!

I have seen the statement, but don't have one now to referrence.  I do not believe it shows the state tax withheld which is what you really need.  It should, however, help shed some doubt as to you owing if your federal withheld tax is in line with your exemptions claimed on your return for that year.  It is a long shot but worth the effort I hope.