Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

Multi State Income Tax issue

Customer Question

I am looking at a new job offere where I will live in Oregon, and work in California (commute) - and I am concerned about being taxed by both CA and OR for the same income. How do I avoid double taxation? My work is to be divided with about 60% in CA and 40% in OR from my home office. Thanks, Laura
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.
Income earned in CA will be taxed by CA.  thus, you will be required to file a non-resident tax return reporting the income.  OR will also tax the income by virtue of your residency status.  However, OR will also allow you to take a credit for the taxes paid to CA on your CA income (up to the amount OR is taxing you).   You report the credit on line 40 of Form 40.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: Thank you for the fast reply Chris, and I am hoping for a small clarification. Will the credit for taxes paid to CA on my OR form completely offset the amount that I pay to CA? In otherwords, hopefully it isn't the same as a deduction that simply reduces my taxable income - I am hoping that my OR taxes are reduced fully by the amount paid to CA. I'll add a bonus for the clarification :)

It may not.  OR will only give you a credit up to the amount of OR tax you incur as a result of that "double-taxed" income.

Thus, if you have $60,000 of income taxable by both CA and OR, and the CA tax is $5,000, but the OR tax on that income is only $3,000, then you will receive a $3,000 credit on your OR return.

The credit would only be similar if the tax rates schedules applicable to your income for OR and CA were similar.   

Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: Thanks Chris, that sounds fair and makes sense.Thanks for the fast responses. Laura