Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

LLC accounting

Customer Question

is an LLC required by tax law to use the cash accounting method, or can it use the accrual method
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.

You may elect the cash or accrual method of acoc**ting for bookkeping purposes, whichever you deem appropriate.  You make the election by adopting the method of accounting in keeping your books and reporting in that manner on your first tax/information return.

Just remember, once you adopt a method of accounting you may not change it without the consent of the IRS.  

Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: Christopher,
which is form is used to request to change from cash to accrual from the IRS. The biggest probelm we have is as follows, I will pay another $20 for the answer....
we have a vacation rental business, it is currently on a cash basis, LLC, when a customer makes a reservation they sign a contract and pay 50% on that day. teh reservation may not be for months in the future. i beleive we would be better in the long run for reporting and cash flow projections to record the entire sale at the day the contract was signed and show teh balance as a receivable. we would pay the GE/TAT taxes in full the month teh contract was signed..do you agree with this, or is the sale not official until the guest actually stay in the place?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Use form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method, to request a change to the accrual basis overall method of accounting.  The change should be accomplished via the Automatic Change Request procedures and will be effective for the tax year in which the request (i.e. Form 3115) is filed.

When an accounting method is changed, §481(a) provides that you must make an adjustment to take into account all adjustments necessary to prevent items from being duplicated or omitted.   Duplicated or omitted items of income and expense are referred to as "adjustments" and include accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventories, and other items.  Whether the change involves a single material item or a change in the taxpayer's overall method of computing income, the adjustment includes all affected items as of the beginning of the year of change.  Depending on the nature of your Company's specific accounting issues, the net amount of the adjustment may be either positive (i.e., increase taxable income) or negative (i.e., decrease taxable income). 

In this case where you are changing the overall method of accounting, the net §481(a) adjustment is computed by taking into account all adjustments that affect income and expense accounts. Care should be taken to eliminate items such as installment payments due on equipment purchases, loans to employees, and, in certain cases, advance payments, which do not affect the computation of taxable income.

Generally, the Sec. 481 adjustment, whether positive or negative, will be required to be takeninto account over a four year period.  The IRS does have the discretion to change that requirement and may do so on its own initiative or at your request.

I recommend you consider employing a CPA or other qualified professional to accomplish this task.  There are many technical issues and the accounting to calculate the 481 adjustment can be complex.  If you do decide to complete it yourself, please carefully read the instructions to the form.