Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

edit - deductibles

Customer Question

hi,
    I am a home owns in Philadelphia, single in the active reserve army -- deployed to Germany and was paid from the employer while I was away. During the time I was away I continue to pay off my home expenses (water, PECO, Alarm, insurance, taxes, gas, mortgage and storage. I had mail my house- hold goods to and from my duty station
Germany. What are my deductibles for taxes for that year?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.

Unless your move was a change in your permanent duty station, the normal moving deduction rules apply.  Assuming you did not change your permanent duty station, you may deduct the unreimbursed cost to transport yourself (and any dependents) to your new post as well as the actual costs to move your household goods, if you meet two tests.

The first test is if the new employment is 50 miles further from your home then your old place of employment. I don't hitnk this test is a problem for you to meet.

The second test is that you have to work in your new place of employment for at lease 39 weeks within 12 months of arriving at the new location.

Assuming you meet these tests you may deduct the unreimbursed costs described above as an adjustment to your gross income on page 1 of the 1040.  The same goes for the move back.

If your assignment is a change in your permanent duty station, then the two tests do not apply.  You may deduct the unreimbursed costs described above without worry about meeting the tests. 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: I am in the reserve army -
what is tests?

There are two tests you must pass in order to deduct unreimbursed moving expenses

The first test is if the new place of employment is 50 miles further from your home then your old place of employment. I don't think this test is a problem for you to meet.

Remember, you may only deduct the cost of moving your household goods and your actual travel (you and your family, one trip) to the new location to the extent your expenses were not reimbursed by your employer.