Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Does claiming a SSI recipient as a dependent effect their benefits?

SSI is not typically taxable income so it does not figure into the maximum wages allowed to claim a person as a dependent.

Claiming someone as a dependent will not affect that amount of SSI that they receive.

Read full interaction below »

Would claiming a SSI recipient as a dependent impact his SSI benefit? I seem to recall that the amount of SSI benefit had to do with what whether he was expected to pay for all expenses or not (i.e room and board cost, food cost, etc.). The amount SSI (about $500 a month) does not come close to covering the 50% of his true cost of living and expenses which is what IRS asks as a test to see if he can be claimed, but I am not sure if that matters to Social Security Office and whether they will adjust the benefit based of partial expense being covered if he is claimed.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

As I said, when they were originally doing the interview to determine the amount of SSI, SOC Sec rep was clear that "financial support" of any kind including free room and board, food and others will be counted toward the calculating the amount of the benefit. By claiming a person on SSI, would we declare that we are supporting over 50% of his cost of living which in turn might change his status with Soc Sec office and cause them to adjust the benefit downward?

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

SSI income is not typically determined by the amount of your bills.  It is, instead, a percentage that is based on estimated calculations.

Claiming the person as a dependent should not change his income.