Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
84937

IRA Retirement Withdrawals and IRA withdrawals from bank

Customer Question

I did a 100% withdrawal from my retirement. I rolled the IRA into my bank this past year. Later that year, I withdrew money from the IRA from my bank. How do I list that on my taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.
Are you saying you first rolled out of an employer pension plan into an IRA, and then withdrew the IRA?

Did you do a direct rollover from the pensionplan to the IRA (i.e. the distribution check was made out to the IRA custodian)?

If you rolled over from a 401(k), 403(b) or other form of employer sponsored pension plan into an IRA, report the gross amount of the distribution in box 16a of the 1040. Show $0 in box 16b. This illustrates the rollover.

For the IRA distribution, show the gross distribution from all IRA's during the year in box 15a of the 1040. Show the amount that is taxable (all of it unless you rolled some over into another IRA) in box 15b.

Don't forget to fill out form 5329 to determine if you are subject to the early distribution penalty (10%).

Was there a specific reason you withdrew the IRA? Under some circumstances the 10% penalty can be reduced or eliminated.
Experience: CPA, CFP, PFS, Tax Practitioner 21 Years, Member AICPA/CSCPA Tax/Financial Planning Committee Member
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Phelps's Post: Hi Chris,

Yes, I rolled over my pension plan to an IRA. I withdrew money out of the IRA a few months later. I withdrew money out because I had to pay bills. How do I know if I have to fill out the Form 5329?
If you were less then age 59 and 1/2 as of the date you withdrew the money, then you are subject to the penalty. Were any of the bills medical, health insurance or education related? If so we may be able to reduce the penalty.