Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

CASH OUT 401K

I have a 401k plan which has approx. $3200 in it. Due to circumstances out of my control I am needing about $2800 now. I still work for the company and plan to continue to work there, but I wanted to know if I could cash out my 401k. All the information I have seen is that people are cashing out 401k when they no longer work for the company. I am only 25 if that makes a difference. PLEASE HELP!!!

Most plans allow for "in-service" withdrawals BUT there will be a big tax cost. The company will withhold 20% so you would onyl get $2,560. Besides that, the actual tax due when you file your tax return next April could be more than the amount withheld.

There are certain specified reasons that will allow you to not pay a penalty on the withdrawal, but you will still have to pay tax on it.

[email protected] 

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE. I AM JUST A LITTLE CONFUSED THOUGH. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY "IN-SERVICE"? IS THIS THE SAME THING AS CASHING OUT? THE REASON WHY I ASK IS BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS A LOAN. I DON'T WANT THE LOAN. I FIGURED THAT THE TAXES WOULD BE HIGH.

"In service" means that you make a withdrawal while you are still working for the company. It could be a complete withdrawal or a partial withdrawal.

[email protected]
Experience: I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: WHEN YOU SAY MOST PLANS ARE YOU SAYING THAT I COULD BE DENIED THE REQUEST? MY 401K IS THROUGH CORRELL COMPANY.

It is possible, though not likely, that your company's plan does not allow for "in-service" distributions, i.e. distributions while you are still working there. Most company's plans allow for this but a few do not. You will need to check with the HR person at work to make sure about your specific plan.

[email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: I WILL CHECK WITH MY HR HOWEVER I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I AM ABLE TO DO AND I USE THE CORRECT TERM. IS THERE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME I WOULD HAVE TO BE EMPLOYED BEFORE I CAN DO THIS? I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR 3 YRS.

What you need to ask about is an "in-service" withdrawal from your 401-K. A total withdrawl if that is the amount that you want.

Normally there are not any length of employment issues related to in service withdrawals but, again, that is a matter of your company's plan.

You may have company contributions that have been credited to your account but are not yet vested. What this means is that, as long as the money stays in the account, you get the benefit of it but you can't take it out until it is vested, usually a number of years (3-5 years is common). Your HR person is the one that is going to be able to tell you what the plan allows and what your vested amount is.

jon