Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

Self Employment tax

Customer Question

Is there any way I can avoid the self-employment tax for tax year 2004? I owe about $15K in self employment taxes. I was wondering if it would help at all now to form and S-Corp or LLC.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 11 years ago.

Using an S corp or an LLC that elects to be taxed as an S corp can lower your overall social security tax (self employment tax) cost but, if properly used, will not eliminate it.

For this to work correctly, the S corp would need to pay you a salary. The salary would be subject to social security tax which is the equivalent of self employment tax. Any amount that the corp distributes to you over and above the salary would not be subject to self employment tax.

In Texas, you also need to be concerned about the franchise tax. Currently the franchise tax is 4.5% of net income of the S corp or LLC. The distributions that you pay (so that you do not owe SS tax on them) are not deductible in calculating the franchise tax.

There are other ways to deal with these issues and I would be happy to discuss them with you.

[email protected]

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: I would like to discuss more. My main question right now is whether or not I can make the changes retroactive to 2004. Meaning, if I formed an S-corp today is there anyway I could make these changes apply to my 2004 taxes. I wasn't expecting to be self-employed this long and that is why I didn't fully explore this last year.

Unfortunately, any entity formation or similar activity is going to be prospective - it will only apply going forward.

The only real opportunities that you have that can be applied retroactively at this point are:

1. Make absolutely sure that you have accounted for everything that can be a business deduction.

2. If you acquired any business assets, take as much accelerated depreciation and Section 179 expense as possible.

3. Put money in an IRA or SEP-IRA. Other retirement accounts can give you a better overall benefit but must be established prior to 12/31/04 to be used for 2004. The IRA and SEP-IRA can be established and contributed to up until 4/15/05 and still provide a deduction for 2004. This will not ease your self-employment tax burden, but it could reduce the overall tax.

[email protected]