Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

How does my church find its proof of IRS tax exempt status

Customer Question

My church is trying to get a Philippino over to US to raise money to build an orphangae in the Philippines. To get a religious he needs "IRS supplied proof of our organization's tax exempt status"
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher Phelps replied 11 years ago.
Can you expand on your statement "To get a religious he needs "IRS supplied proof of our organization's tax exempt status"? I am not sure I understand why you need to provide proof of your exempt status.

Are you saying you are trying to raise funds to send an individual to the Philipines and someone is asking for proof of your exempt status?

Churches are statutorily exempt and donot have to ask the IRS for exemption nor do they even have to file any forms or returns (depending on how they organize). However, for liability reasons many churches incorporate and file requests (on appropriate forms) with the IRS and their state taxing agency for exempt status anyway.

Is your church incorporated in Georgia? Have you filed an exemption application with the IRS and Georgia? Who is requesting proof of exempt status?

Please answer and I will do my best to help you.