R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
100961

Tax Questions

Customer Question

how much charitable contributions can I claim without receipts
how much church contributions can i claim for the year
-also can i claim monies from my pay stubs deducted for long term health care. I was 51 last year and if so how i figure out how much?
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 11 years ago.
You are required to have cancelled checks, receipts, account statements, or other written record for all of your charitable deductions. There is no limit to the amount of church donations you can claim though the deduction will be restricted to 50% of your AGI and the remainder carried over. You can deduct long term care insurance on Schedule A or if you are self-employed you can take it as an adjustment to income subject to certain limits.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: I am sorry, it is church contributions
I thank you for your answers.

can you explain the state and local tax that is new? i live in nevada. am i allowed to claim it or is it if i purchased something big?
You have the option to deduct sales tax instead of state income tax on Schedule A now. Since Nevada has no state income tax you should use the sales tax deduction. If you have a tax program it will help you make this calculation if not check out Publication 600 at www.irs.gov and you can use the tables there. On the church contributions, if we are not talking about large amounts I would take the deduction. It is not reasonable to expect people to have receipts for putting $5 or $10 in the collection plate every week. I always tell my people, if you gave the money we should take the deduction. If they are larger amounts maybe you can get a donation statement from the church.
$1500 is pretty high, was that all cash? If not i would check with the churches about getting a statement. If that level of giving is normal for you and you have records from other years that support that I wouldn't be worried about claiming it this year. Any type of purchase on which sales tax is charged counts. The programs figure a deductible amount based on your income level and then add any large purchases that you might have had, there is nothing unlawful about it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: i give $20 per week, i don't think that is high

can i claim a supplement medical insurance plan i pay ?

i am on tricare because i am a widow of a service man and chose to go outside for medical so it covers only 80% of my medical bills so i took out a supplemental to make sure i am covered 100% and it cost me $189 every 3 months. May I count that as a medical expense?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
do i claim my 28 year old son who lived with me until august 2004 as a dependant? he worked and filed income tax
When I said high i meant it was a little more than I would feel comfortable claiming without any documentation. You can count the supplemental insurance as a medical expense. If your son claimed himself then you won't be able to claim him.