Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

Bankruptcy Chapter 7

Customer Question

In Nov.2001 we filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy,it was discharged Feb.2002, Final Decree Feb.2004. Total assets were 115,643 and Total liabilities were 220,030, naturally we were considered insolvent. We had a 1st mortgage & 2nd mortgage and continued to pay 1st mortgage as per atty.'s advice, but did not continue to pay 2nd due to atty.'s advice. We were "advised" that they would not pursue foreclosure until the time came for us to sell and the interest would just keep accruing.   Anyway, In 2004 we refinanced home to pay off 2nd mortgage and to rid ourselves of the black cloud hanging over our heads. The 2nd mortgage co.agreed to accept 50K as payment in full for total debt outstanding of 79K. They sent us Form 1099C showing amount of debt cancelled $28,129 and (Interest amount Box 3 was $15,420.03)Do we need to claim this amount as income? We never filed any special Income Tax forms claiming the BK back in 2002 or 2003. If we do need to claim the amount, do we claim amount less interest included in that amount? Can we file a 1040X for that year? What year should have we claimed the BK in? 2002 when it was discharged or 2001 when it was filed? Please help. Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 11 years ago.

You do not need to claim that as income if the discharge was pursuant to a bankruptcy filing OR if you were insolvent at the time. To the extent that you received a 1099-C for a given year, you can file Form 982 to inform the IRS that you were under a bankruptcy filing or insolvent at the time of discharge.

Also, to the extent that any of the payment you made was deemd to be interest, that interest would be deductible.

[email protected] 
Experience: I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: Thank you . I thought that might be the case based on what I read from IRS publication 908 but it is hard to interpret their "language".