Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

Real Estate Capital Gain Tax

In 1964, my parents purchased a home for $12,500. In 1984, they transferred the home to me on a Quitclaim Deed. No money was exchanged.

In 2004, I sold the house for $335,000. In 20 years, when I owned the home, I made many improvements -- siding, porches, roof, updated kitchen and bathrooms, heating, electrical, etc. -- but I don't have all the receipts. And,I do not have all the receipts for the time my parents owned the home and made improvements. Also, this was not my primary residence prior to the sale. However, it was my primary residence from 1984-1998.

Is there a dollar amount per year (for improvements made with out receipts) that is acceptable? Also, can the improvements paid for by my parents when they owned the home be used as well since the property was transferred?

Thank you,

Answers in reverse of questions -

Your initial basis would be the same as that of your parents, so improvements that they made would count in determining your gain.

There is no "allowable amount" per year. Your best bet is to try to make a list of the major improvements that you made, when you made them (at least the year), and how much they cost (approximately). You should remeber the cardinal rule in situations such as this - Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. Translated - if you make a reasonable effort to come up with realistic numbers, you will probably be OK. If you come up with some wild guesses that make it look like you made no money, you are likely to get hammered by the IRS if they audit your return. There is no guarantee that they will accept any number without the receipts, but, generally, they are reasonable if you are reasonable.

Since this has not been your primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years, you will subject to long term capital gains tax on whatever gain there is.

[email protected] 
Experience: I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.

P.S. The "quitclaim" in 1984 could also represent a problem. From the sounds of things a gift tax return was not filed. It is almost certain that the value at that time was in excess of the amount that could be given and not be subject to gift tax. If no gift tax return was filed, then there is no statute of limitations with respect to that and you/they could wind up with an even bigger problem.

[email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Jon Andrews's Post: My parents are both dead. Can you clarify what you mean I/they could end up with a bigger problem?

How would I find out if they filed a gidt tax return, are these still available 20 years later?

Thank you

If estate tax returns were filed subsequent to their deaths, the gift tax returns would have been noted on them, if any were filed.

If estate tax returns were not filed because the estates were not large enough for them to be required, you are probably going to be OK with repect to the gift tax issue.

The potential problem is that, since there is no statute of limitations if a return was not filed, the IRS could even now assess gift tax.

I do not mean to over-alarm you, but you do need to be aware of the situation. If you could provide me with some basic information about your parents estates, I could give you a better idea of whether or not there is any real cause for concern. General information would be the year of death for each, whether or not you have siblings, and your best guess as to the value of the assets that they owned at the time of their deaths. There may be some additional questions after I look at the initial information.

It would be preferable to not post this information publicly. you can send it to me privately using the "PM" button that will show up if you click my name on the left side of the screen. 

jon