How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

child depedent eic for 2005

Customer Question

My child will turn 19 in november of 2005. Will I still beable to claim her as a dependent? She lives at home does not go school and has a full time and part time job. I didn't know whether I'd still beable to get EIC for her seeing that she will be with me for 11 months this year before she turns 19. Also, if I'm not able to, should I change my exemptions from 2 to 0. Thank you.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jon replied 11 years ago.

Exemptions-  It would depend primarily on your income. If you don't qualify for EIC your goal is to not get a refund. Many uneducated people brag about their refund. The truth is it's just the government returning an interest free loan (have you ever been given an interest free loan by an institution) to you. You could have the money deposited into an interest bearing account and be ahead of the game. Or spend as you, time value of money (money is worth more today than it is tomorrow). Unless you are dazzled by what the government is doing with the money while it's in their hands... keep it.

In all do fairness the government is excellent at repaying these loans (but you do have to ask for it in writing and can get in trouble if you don't ask correctly).

I leave the EIC question for one of the other guys. They answer a lot of tough ones and deserve an easy one. By the way listen to them, they are very good.

Did you get out for irishfest?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon's Post: My income is around $23000. Thank you Jon but I'm still not sure what to do. Missed the irish fest this year.
Expert:  jon replied 11 years ago.

Do you pay to have your taxes done? I'm curious cause we spend a bit of time doing tax returns at the irs. Your income qualifies you to have your taxes done free of charge. Not sure if you realized  (irs) does taxes for free to those who deserve it most.

My greatest concern for those in lower income brackets is being taken advantage of by predators. These predators may be an eveil doer that slips into a national chain or could be a member of a mom&pop shop. One of the wallet hijacking tricks they pull is to charge you for forums that you don't need to file and they know you won't need to file (they do this because of a love for money in my opinion).

Another problem facing those who get a refund (the people who deserve it most) is poor decision making. Look what happened with this low income grandma I'm not sure who was lying or attempting to mislead (some grandma's lie). If I was the reporter I would of asked the leader of the company if they ever discourage people from entering a contract that charges outrageous interest rates (cause they were number one in the nation at administering these contracts). And I would ask the grandma is she was being paid to slander an orgination that has many honest workers and thousands of satisfied customers. If only I was the reporter. 

IRS free sites are nice. Another good choice is a place like Free cause you once again qualify at your income level. Never make the mistake of thinking this is a generous offer by turbotax. It's cause they need to make more money to please their stockholders


I would answer for free but am not allowed to. This is a pay site after all. After one of the experts answers and you accept their answer, please leave the question open. This allows the answer to be reviewed by other experts and will be scrutinized if inaccurate. Try to get that kind of service anywhere else.

Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

 Your child's age on 12/31/04 will determine if she qualifies for EIC for you.  Since your post indicates that she was 19 and not a full time student, she will not qualify unless she is permanently and totally disabled(by IRS standards only).

Since she is working, she may qualify for EIC for HERSELF instead of for you when she reaches 25.

Changing your exemptions to a maximum of 1 would likely be in your best interest if you do not wish to have a balance due.  Changing your exemption to -0- will likely have a small refund.  As Jon pointed out, this is an interest free loan to IRS until you receive that refund of your own money back with your tax return.  The choice is yours to make!

I work for H&R Block where we ALWAYS answer your tax questions free if you call or visit our offices.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience: I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  jon replied 11 years ago.

 That's a fantastic service your organization provides Skyhawks.

I  may have some questions. But not sure if your organization would prefer I call them or should I just pay for questions at this site. Do all branches of your organization offer fee answers? It's remarkable that in this busy tax season you already have information on filing next years tax returns. How far into the future can you provide  information? I would be interested in viewing  1040's and instructions (paper or electric) if you can provide future years. How many years into the future can you go?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok just so I have this straight (as you can tell, I'm no tax expert) Even though my daughter will be 18 for 11 months this year, I will not beable to claim any eic for that 11 months, and I should change my exemptions immediatly so I won't have to pay in to the irs.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

 Her age on Dec 31st will determine whether or not you can claim her and get the EIC.  That is correct.

And, YES, you need to change your exemptions through your payroll department so you won't end up owing.

Let us know if you still have questions.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions