R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
100961

Which States do I need to file in

Customer Question

I am a full time RVer. I own no property. I worked the summer in Colorado ($7100), Received a payment from my old company in Arizona for $5645.00 for Golden Hancuffs), received $1000 for a phopto contest, and recieving equal payments for 5 years from two IRA approx $27,000. I have been using Turbo Tax but am completely confused about which state to use as my primary. My mailing address is Texas and my vehicls are regristered in New Mexico. Please help
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 11 years ago.
I don't know that there is a really good answer to this. I've never seen a really good discussion on some of the interstate tax issues you bring up (if someone knows a book or article maybe they could post it) usually you have to read the rules for each state you are involved with and try to make the various treatments match up so your only paying tax once. I think in your case there are a few tests that the states would look at to try to "claim" you. Are you registered to vote somewhere, do you regularly return to a certain area, what state is your driver's license in, what state did you live in before RVing, do you have a library card.   If the answers to these questions all point to a certain state that is probably where you should claim residency (hopefully TX). At any rate you will need to file a Part Year Colorado for the money you earned during the summer. The AZ income may depend on what state you "decide" to reside in and if AZ has tax agreements with neighboring states.
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: I received a W-2 from my old employer in Arizona for the golden handcuff payment. Does that require me to file Arizona Income Tax. My address is Texas which does not have any income tax. I will need to file for Colorado since I worked there for 4 months.
You should file a non-resident return for AZ claiming the W-2 income for AZ. Arizona taxes all income from AZ sources regardless of residency.