Nick Sparks
Nick Sparks, businessman
Experience:  Extensive business experience
93690

IRS destroying my business

Customer Question

3 years ago my father died and i took overhis tax buss. i am his daughter and i called them and told them and they said the buss. can still run using his efin number now 3 weeks into tax season they started rejecing my cust. returns and say i need my own efin number witch takes 6 weeks i am going to lose my buss. please is their anything i can do to save it this was my fathers buss. for 25 years and i dont want to lose it tank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  JBE, CPA replied 11 years ago.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

If your father's practice was incorporated then you shouldn't be having these problems so I assume that he was a sole proprietor.

I would try to call the IRS and discuss the situation and see if you can get fasttrack approval although I doubt if that will work. But desparate times requires desparate measures; even falling on your sword sometimes works.

As an immediate fix maybe you can work out an arrangement, which includes a no solicitation agreement, with another practitioner to do the e-filing for you.

JBE, CPA

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to JBE, CPA's Post: I have talked to the IRS about a fasttrack efin but they claim they have no such thing available. I am looking for another practitioner to do the efiling but everyone that I have talked so far either will only efile the returns if they prepare them or want outrageous fees to do so. I am still looking around for another preparer so I thank you for your advise.
Expert:  Nick Sparks replied 11 years ago.
I had good luck requesting a meeting and mapping out a
plan to resolve an IRS issue I had. The agents talk tough but
are human beings interested in successfully clearing up
problems that land on their desks.

The first agent I dealt with was rude, so I simply walked out
and requested a meeting with a different agent. The second
meeting got everything fixed to my full satisfaction.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nick Sparks's Post: Thank you for your advise. In fact I talked to an ex-IRS agent who suggested going to the federal building and dealing with in person. I am going first thing Monday morning and will let you know how that works out.