R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
100961

dependants

Customer Question

My parents have 18,000 of untaxed socal security income. They don’t file a return. They don't live with me. I give them money every month to help with the mortgage and taxes. Can I claim both of them as dependents or one of them on my tax return   
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 11 years ago.
If you provide more than half of the financial support you may be able to claim one or both . You'd have to determine the entire amount that is spent on lodging, food, clothing, medical, recreation, transportation, and other necessities for each parent separately. If you paid either one more than half of the amount spent for their support then you can claim that person.
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: I understand that there Social secuiry income of 18000.00 is not taxable. there taxable income is zero. If I give them $1.00, that is more than half there taxable income, Could I claim them.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Giving them one dollar is NOT providing more than half of their financial support.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: How much do I have to give them, to get to more than 50% of there taxable income
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You would need to get their financial records to figure this out.  You need to add their rent or mortgage expenses, home maintenance, water, electricity, phone and other utilities.  Then you need to add in their clothing, their food, medical care and other expenses.  Take half of that value and you will have 50% of their support costs.

Tammy is correct, the support test has nothing to do with your parent taxable or non-taxable income. It is what you gave them divided by what was spent in total to support them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Their mortgage, tax, utilities, food and clothing spent is 1000.00 a month. I give them 700 a month, so I would be able to claim them as dependents. Correct? Can I also claim their mortgage interest and taxes on my return sched A?   
You can claim them as dependents but I assume the house and mortgage are in their name and thus the interest is reported to them in which case you can't claim it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I don't understand, I pay their mortgage and taxes but I can't claim it because it is in there name.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You must be legally responsible for repayment of the loan in order to take the deduction for mortgage interest.

It doesn't matter who pays it.  Your parents are the only ones who can claim it.

Sorry!