Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
4804

Help with wrong SSNs for children

Customer Question

My wife and I have been split up for two years now. We have two children. Last year I claimed my oldest child (she claimed the youngest) and this year we switched. However, the big problem is last year we got the children’s social security numbers switched - they processed fine. This year when I filed on my youngest, I used the SSN from last year (the wrong one - without knowing) and it went through fine and have already received my returns. My "wife" has been trying to file claiming the oldest and the SSN (from last year) will not work. She’s tried the accurate one (after we realized the mistake) also and it will not work.   It keeps getting rejected. So I have two questions... how can she get her taxes filed (as quickly as possible) and how do we get the children’s social security numbers correct in the IRS’s databases?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

She will need to change to use the other child on her tax return if she wants to be able to efile her tax return.

You can amend your own return to claim the correct child, but her return will still not be able to be processed by efile and must again be mailed.

You should both make sure you are claiming the correct child and ss# XXXXX your 2005 return.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: This is the error she is receiving...

Error Description: The FIRST dependent on this return has already been claimed as a dependent on another return. According to the IRS records, the first dependent on this return was previously claimed as a dependent on another return. Please verify that the Social Security Number and Name information is correct. This information should be the same as is printed on the Social Security Card for each dependent.

Like I stated above, I claimed my youngest the year before and she is claiming her this year.

By any chance did your child also file a tax return?  This situation occurs quite often when the full standard deduction amount is claimed for a dependent child instead of the earned income plus 250.

You should confirm that you have not claimed that child on your own return and if you did, she should claim the other child instead.  The results should be the same unless the child is over 17 on 12/31/04.

Verify that you have matched the child's ss# XXXXX their ss CARD with the entry on the tax return.

This situation also occurs when a parent is using the child as a qualifying person for Head of Household filing status and the other parent is claiming the child as a dependent and/or for EIC.