Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
4750

inherited bonds

Customer Question

2 years ago I received bonds as part of my mother's estate. Those bonds have a good dividend which supplies me with an income. I pay taxes on that income quarterly. I want to sell them to pay my house off. If I sell them, do I have to pay any tax on their sale since they were inherited?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 11 years ago.

If you sell the bonds, ,that is a taxable transaction - BUT - your "cost" for calculating the taxable gain will be the value that was used for your mother's estate - normally the value at the date of death. If the bonds were worth $50,000 then and you sell them for $55,000, you will have a taxable long-term capital gain of $5,000. If they were worth $50,000 then and you sell them for $45,000, you will have a long-term capital loss of $5,000 that can be used to reduce your other taxable income (subject to certain limitations).

If you need further information or assistance, please let me know.

[email protected] 
Experience: I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Expert:  JBE, CPA replied 11 years ago.
What kind of bonds? Are these corporate securities or are these US Treasury Bonds?

The basis of inherited US Savings bonds will be the basis in the hands of the decedent. Even though their FMV is includible in the estate, you will not receive a step-up in basis.

JBE, CPA
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Response to JBE, CPA's Post: The bonds are corporate bonds with 2 non-taxable municipals. Most of these bonds are old, Mom had them for years so they are paying between 5-8% and don't have any calling dates for years. No US savings bonds. I see they have already gone down now that interest rates are higher so if I sell, now is the time. However I have long term capital gains this year so I thought I'd wait till 2005 when my income (after selling) will be lower as will be my tax structure.
Expert:  JBE, CPA replied 11 years ago.
The maximum rate on capital gains is 15% at the most.    So selling this year may be advisable since interest rates are expected to coninue to increase. Waiting until 2005 might not be worth it.

If you will have very low income then your capital gains rate could be less than 15% but once again you need to evaluate the risk of waiting.

JBE, CPA