Ask T. R. Miller, The SunTaxMan Your Own ...
T. R. Miller, The SunTaxMan
T. R. Miller, The SunTaxMan, Public Accountant , Tax Preparer
Experience:  30+ years in Public Accounting and Tax Preparation
4805

PROPERTY TAX

Customer Question

IN 1958 MY GRANDFATHER BOUGHT A PIECE OF WATERFRONT PROPERTY FOR $1500.00. THE PROERTY SLOWLY TOOK ON INPROVMENTS...ROAD(DRIVE WAY),SUMMER CABIN, CARPORT. THEN YEARS LATER ELECTRCITY WAS ADDED. IN 1980 MY GRANDFATHER DIED AND MY MOTHER AND HER TWO BROTHERS WERE GIVEN THE PROPERTY AS A GIFT BY THIER MOTHER. THIS YEAR OF 2004 THEY HAD WATER BROUGHT TO THE CABIN AND THEY SOLD THE PROPERTY FOR $300,000.00. THIS IS TO BE SPLIT AMONG THE THREE OF THEM. WHAT TAXES OR DUES ARE TO BE EXPECTED? WE LIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE (ZIP 98221) THE PROPERTY IS ALSO IN WASHINGTON STATE. MANY FILING FEES HAVE BEEN PAID IN THE PROCESS OF SELLING. ALL THREE ARE OLDER THAN 65.
Category: Tax
Expert:  T. R. Miller, The SunTaxMan replied 12 years ago.
I am assuming that in 1980, the "gift" was actually inheritance. If it was a "gift" not related to death, then the following several paragraphs DO NOT APPLY. I have addressed the issue of a "gift" later in this response.

In 1980 the appraised value, at the date of death, is the "cost" (basis) of this property, PLUS the costs of any capital improvements you have made in the intervening years - this would be improvements that increased or maintained the value of the property - NOT "repairs" ( for example, a "new" roof is a capital improvement, replacing "part" of the roof because of damaged, missing shingles, etc., is a "repair" not a capital improvement.)

In 2004 the sale price, $300,000 is used to compare to the "basis" in the preceding paragraph. Comparing these two figures will produce long-term capital gain, which will be split among the three of you. Each of you will report this on your Schedule D, attached to your 1040 for 2004 and pay tax on that gain.

The "filing fees" you mention and all other costs of the sale will be used to increase your "basis" in the property before comparing basis to sale price.

IF THE PROPERTY WAS INDEED A GIFT, AND NOT INHERITANCE, then the "basis" in the property is the lower of (1) the cost, plus capital improvements, on the books of Grandfather, or, (2) the fair market value at the time the gift was made, WHICHEVER FIGURE IS LOWER. This figure is then used to compare to the $300,000 sale price.

I am hoping that the transfer of ownership to your Mother and her Brothers was indeed as an inheritance, and not as a "gift" as you describe above. I suspect, as a gift, you will have much more gain and much more tax to pay on the property.

If you have any further questions, please contact me.
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 12 years ago.
Just a follow-up to SunTaxMan's post. As I understand the transaction, your grandmother inherited the property from your grandfather and then gave the property to your mother and her brothers. If that is the case, the basis will be the fair market value at grandfather's date of death because that became grandmother's basis when grandfather died.

One additional issue to consider is whether or not any gift tax returns were filed relating to the gift from grandmother to your mother and her brothers. I believe that the anuual gift limit (non-taxable) in 1980 was $3,000 per person. So if the property was valued at more than $9,000 when grandmother gifted it, there should have been gift tax returns filed.
[email protected]
Customer

Jonacpa brings out a good point that I missed.

If indeed Grandmother "inherited" the property at Grandfather's death, and then gifted the property to three people, this does affect basis, but I disagree with Jonacpa a little.

I am assuming Grandmother and Grandfather, owned the property together. This means at Grandfather's death, Grandmother inherited half of the property - she already owned her half. The "basis" in the property has a little complication to it. The half that Grandmother owned prior to Grandfather's death carries HER basis - her half of the original cost, plus her half of capital improvements made from the date of purchase to the date of Grandfather's death. The half that Grandmother inherited from Grandfather has, as Grandmother's new basis in that half, the Fair Market Value - the appraised value, on the date of Grandfather's death.

IF THE PROPERTY WAS INDEED GIFTED TO your Mother and two of your Uncles, this combination figure is the basis figure you need to use to compare to the $300,000 sale price.

I realize this may sound extremely confusing, but to our minds it is a very organized progression of thinking. If you need further help with this, feel free to contact me or just ask further questions.

And YES, the absence or presence of Gift Tax Returns at the date of transfer from Grandmother to your Mother and Uncles IS indeed a significant factor in the situation. Do you know if Gift Tax Returns were filed?
And now we need one more clarification. Jonacpa reminds me that Washington is a "community property state." This means that at Grandfather's death, Grandmother's half of the "basis" in the property is the SAME as Grandfather's. Grandmother's basis is NOT her half of the original cost plus improvements.

Sorry for the misinformation. I realize this may confuse you even more. If it does, let me know. We can start over with an explanation that should help.