Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Does a 1999 subaru impreza outback have anything electrical

Does a 1999 subaru impreza outback have anything electrical on the transmission to prevent it from staying in gear.
I grinds goes into gear then pops out over and over .it is a loud grind and again it will engage for a few seconds then pop out again and again

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

No need to request a call, please give me a moment to respond

Sorry to say but there isn't anything that would cause this that's electrical. The manual only has 2 electrical switches on it, the back up lights and the neutral position switch.

This issue is usually caused by either the main shaft waling inside the case or the syncro hub not locking the gear into place and holding it tight. You could check for any looseness in the shifter bushings under the car, but I think since it's grinding going into gear there is a locking hub on the syncro not locking into place.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How difficult to repair or should i replace the trans

Honestly without the required tools and a press, the best answer is to replace the transmission. It's not that hard to rebuild the one you have, just a whole lot easier to do a swap for a used one. Lot less time consuming too

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks

You are very welcome, sorry it's not better news.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!