Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

3rd cylinder misfire intermittenly and it gets worse when it

Customer Question

3rd cylinder misfire intermittenly and it gets worse when it rains. Its raining hard and the misfiring is more frequent when its raining. Why? What is the issue? Coil, elecgronics, or the injector or a sensor? Any thoughts?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: The 3rd cylinder misfire code is all we have right now.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2006 outback 2.5 liter motor auto trans
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am fixing it myself. Troubleshooting . I have it narrowed down in my own thoughts either crank sensor or the coil or the injectors.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think its electrical
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Normally rain effects the plug wires. I would start there. Make sure to use dielectric grease on the coil wire boots. It is not the CMP or CKP sensors, that would effect all cylinders. would also reseal the connectors to the computer, coil, and injector with the same grease applied to the connector seal and pins.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris