Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2003 Subaru Forester has intermittent problem with the

My 2003 Subaru Forester has intermittent problem with the radio coming on when I start the car. Sometimes radio and heater work at starting, sometimes it comes n within 30-60 seconds. Sometimes, I have to shut the car on for and then restart to get heater and radio to work.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Hmm? Coolant level is good, no leaking, just had oil changed one week ago. This radio problem has been going on for months.
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not fixing myself. Just starting to be concerned.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I change bulb in clock?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Moose,Your system would not let me use my personal email, ( said it was used already, but would not let me update the password) so I had to use my work email which I have no acess to except Mon-Fri.

Do you believe you could do some wire testing with a volt meter while this is occurring so we can see why you have a delay in the power or ground to the radio and climate control?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tell me what to do. I might not be able to test until Wednesday morning.

Can you remove the radio and then turn the key on and test these wires while the radio is still plugged in buy delaying coming on.

blue/red should be power all the time.

yellow/green should be power when the key is turned on.

black/red should always be ground.

I am pretty sure its the YE/GN wire and fuse 9 behind the left side of the dash but we need to confirm that is the reason to diagnose this fuse.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is winter here and my wife broke her big toe, so I have been consumed with helping her. i will look at removing the radio today. How hard is that to do.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I can not submit answers at this point because the post has timed out from not being rated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Moose,
I don't know how to take the radio out, to run your tests
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the info. I will try to remove radio on Wednesday morning.

Your welcome