Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Started outback, check engine, brake light, cruise control

Customer Question

started outback , check engine , brake light, cruise control and anti skid lights all came on and are flashing,,,,car is running normal, dash is like a Christmas tree....what is going on?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: cruise control flashing, the rest are solid
JA: What year is your Outback?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just shut it down and restarted...no change,,,,,I have no clue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

It is normal when the check engine light comes on for the rest of them to come on as well. Subaru put this in as a safety so that there can't be a chance of the electronic throttle body sticking open.

I would start by checking the gas cap If it's loose, then you will have the check engine light come on. There are over 500 reasons for the light to come on, but checking the cap only takes a moment.

The car is safe to drive like this as long as it is running normally and if you find the gas cap is loose, eventually the light will go back off on it's own.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?