Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have a 2016 outback. I was driving on a wet road with

Customer Question

I have a 2016 outback. I was driving on a wet road with patches of snow/ice. As the car went over the short ice patch the car felt like the back drifted a little and when the car guy the bare road it would jerk straight. It was subtle, but it happened a number of times. No probs when it was all snow or all bare, that I could tell.
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Are there service bulletins to address steering issues?
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: No. It was new in Feb 2016, and serviced in the last six months.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. What condition are your tires? Do you have tire chains on your vehicle? Sounds like the transition from surface to surface is causing this. Have you had the ball joints checked? I know its a new vehicle, but I also know that things happen.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The tires should be like new. No chains, ever. I haven't checked anything. I wanted some info on what to ask my service department to check. I would list alignment, ball joints, tire wear, what else?Are there any computer things they should check with the self steering and all?
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

I would also have them run diagnostic for traction control, vehicle stability control, and wheel sensors. These may be causing slight issues also. Do you have any warning lights on?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No warning lights. I turned off srs and the other stability button with the car over the squiggly lines. Nothing felt different.
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

I wouldn't suspect that turning off the traction would change anything, because I already suspect it not to be working and the srs is air bag and restraint control

Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

Is the shifting coming from the front or back? Can you tell?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It feels like the back is moving to the right, or the front is moving a little left.
Expert:  Todd M replied 14 days ago.

I understand. I'm leaning more towards the wheel sensors compensating for the momentary loss of ground/control of a spinning tire, if its not because of the tires. The quick pulsation of the brake would cause this jerk/skid.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just had the dealer service center check the computer for error messages and they found no messages. I need an appointment for them to put the car up on a rack. What can I check on my own?
Expert:  Todd M replied 14 days ago.

The only thing the you can really check on your own is the fuses. You can look for shifted belts in the tire, you can jack up the vehicle, and inspect the ball joints tie rod arms, look for anything shifted or able to be shifted by manual force. Remember to use jack stands.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Could it be a brake problem on one wheel? I might be imagining things, but sometimes it feels like the brake pedal is a little bumpy when I'm giving light pressure. And could there be a brake problem without an error message? When I Jack the car up, with Jack stands!, Should the wheels rotate freely, on not because of the AWD?
Expert:  Todd M replied 14 days ago.

If your brakes are grabbing then that could be a very real possibility. The wheels should rotate easily, but not freely. The bumps that you are feeling, could be excessive run out of a rotor, or it could be a bad tire. Both will have you feeling a pulsation in the pedal. If the bad tire is in the front, then you may notice the steering wheel rocking from side to side.

Expert:  Todd M replied 11 days ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.