Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

We are considering buying a Subaru 2003 Outback VDC in

Customer Question

We are considering buying a Subaru 2003 Outback VDC in pretty good condition expect there is front end damage and a possible kink in the frame in the engine section on the passenger side. We may be able to purchase for $2,500. The mileage is 164K. What should we be looking out for?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic with 164,000 miles.
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We haven't purchased yet. For most damage we can replace ourselves. However there a half inch gap to place the bolt onto the bumper beam.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Todd M replied 21 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. If there was front end damage, First, I would be looking for horn, airbag sensor, or headlight/turn signal electrical damage. The bumper section can be relatively easy to take care of. The main issue would be the kink in the frame. If this kink is causing the engine not to sit properly, it could be very bad in relation to drive axles, transmission and the mounts being always twisted. If the kink is not effecting the natural position of the motor or the driveability of the vehicle then I would say go for it. Just be sure that these things are checked.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The car was driven for several months after the damage without apparent ill effect. When they were replacing the bumper beam, they discovered the kink. The kink is forward from the engine mounts on the passenger side. It appears the only affect was spreading apart the section of the car that the bumper beam attaches to by a half inch or so. The condenser is damaged and they already have a replacement. What else should we be considering?
Expert:  Todd M replied 21 days ago.

Okay. Sounds like you have a good deal going. Like a said, the bumper section is very easy to fix. I've stated all my concerns. Everything else would be routine work for front end damage. As long as the motor and transmission are sound, I would say you will be fine.

Expert:  Todd M replied 21 days ago.

I've purchased a rebuilt car myself and I had NO problems at all with it.