Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have Subaru Forester 2005. After the last service

Customer Question

Hi. I have Subaru Forester 2005. After the last service (approximately 5 months ago) when timing belt was replaced engine worked perfectly, but when outside temperature became cold it started to go in very strange mode – high level of vibration and strange sound on the left side of the engine (like couple of cylinders are out of sync). Usually it starts when engine is idle (for example, when waiting for a street light), but sometimes it is happening on freeway at regular speed. What can it be?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: Approximately 2000 miles on new one. It was first change.
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it was done at the dealership as part of 120, 000 miles maintenance
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No it is the only problem I have
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your question and notes to what is happening. If there are no engine lights on or codes in the ECU that sounds like they miss aligned that bank when they chained the timing belt. The funny part is you can be out one tooth one way and not effect things too much but the other way you'll notice it rt away. So what I;m suggesting is to take it back and have them check the timing alignment on that bank you hear the noise coming from. If you require further assistance let me know and please take the time to rate my service. thank you and happy new year.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No lights on the dashboard. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thanks, ***** *****

Thanx for that info that just makes me think that's more the problem then because being one tooth out won't set codes. PLease do as I suggested and let me know from there good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thanks. How to terminate my free trial?

No thanks for what I just give you a logical place to start ? do you want my help or not?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No tnanks,I just want confirmation of termination of my trail membership

The n you have to go through customer service as we independent contractors do not have that capability to do that. Jus t ignore ratting me and go to customer service and you should be helped there. good day.