Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback, it was involved in a collision

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback, it was involved in a collision and the volume control on the steering wheel does not work. The dealer has replaced the steering wheel switch control and the clockspring but it the volume control still does not work. Are there any other parts in that area that would need to be replaced also? The dealer does not know what it could be. Thanks you
JA: Do you have the car's service manual? Does the car have airbags?
Customer: Yes the car has airbags and the driver airbag has been replaced and the airbag light is off
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is at the dealer...they may be sending it to another dealer now because I have had to take it back for this problem 2 times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The audio on the radio works fine its just the volume control on the steering wheel
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

There are not any other components between the steering wheel switch and the audio unit. There is a roll connector near the base of the steering column that connects the wiring harness from the steering wheel components to the wiring harness going to the audio unit.

This should be checked for loose connection or broken wiring. If ok, I suspect the wiring harness in the steering column for the audio steering wheel switch is damaged and the harness will need to be replaced.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have replaced the clockspring 2 times and the audio control switch once...the volume side does not work but the other side does?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

Those components connect to a wiring harness that goes down the steering column and connects to another wiring harness that goes to the main audio unit. It is likely that that wiring harness is damaged on the audio volume circuit. The only other cause would be a failure in the main audio unit itself on that circuit.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

At this time, unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.