Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

My 2000 outback runs great except for the fact that when I

Customer Question

my 2000 outback runs great except for the fact that when I refuel and try to start it it will crank for 15 to 20 seconds before starting and then it is all good until I refuel again!
I have put a new fuel pump in but it still does the same thing when refueling
Thanks
Paul
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin The Purge valve for the evap system which is mounted up front on the intake manifold, could be stuck open, whereas it should be closed. This allows fuel fumes from the tank, that are pushed out when the new fuel is pumped into the tank, to accumulate in the intake manifold. This causes an excessively rich fuel mix leading to hard starting and poor running until the excess fuel is burned off.
the fact car starts normally the rest of the time would indicate the fueling side is good

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please rate my service