tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

2016 Legacy. Running lights won't turn off.

Customer Question

Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 20 days ago.

Hi,is there any aftermarket equipment installed? Does vehicle have a trailer hitch and wiring?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Nope, it's stone stock. Doing the same thing tonight. Wife drove in, got out, locked the doors, 35 minutes later running lights still on. Nothing else, no markers or tail lights. Just locked it with the remote, but still lights on after 10 minutes.
Expert:  tamaz replied 17 days ago.

Hi,how are you preventing battery from dying, are you disconnecting battery?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The other couple of times it did this we eventually got the lights to go off. Tonight no amount of fooling with it got them off so I unhooked the battery. Talked with Subaru Global Service and they said there was a recall on the 2014 & '15 models for a lighting relay that sticks, but not on the '16's. Might be the problem here too. Anyway, I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and let them deal with it.
Expert:  tamaz replied 17 days ago.

Hi, when they find out what is happening please let me know I am very curious,Thank you and have a terrific Thanksgivinhg!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Was the sticky relay issue. Actually was the lo-beam headlights, not running lights. They switch to an even lower setting when they're on and you shut off the engine. Supposed to go out in 3 minutes from then, but the relay got stuck in the closed position, so when the three minutes were up, it wouldn't trip to open to turn the lights off. Issues where it happened before were just that it was stuck, but tripped after we fiddled with the lights and it finally tripped.
Expert:  tamaz replied 16 days ago.

Thanks that's very interesting I'll keep my eyes open in my shop for this fault, thanks again!