nelson freitas
nelson freitas,
Experience:  AutomotiveTechnician at brantford toyota
96947379

Emergency brake light is on and the emergency break is not

Customer Question

Emergency brake light is on and the emergency break is not engaged. THe car will not turn easily - like power steering has gone out. I looked in the motor and there was a broken belt - I looked up the part number and it is the alternater belt. Are those related at all?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent - difficult to turn the wheel. I didn't drive it a lot at the point, was nervous.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My daughter drives the car and she was pretty far away so I picked her up and left the car. I will have to try to get it fixed tomorrow. If my husband is not available I will have to figure something else out. Really wondering if I can drive it somewhere or if I should have it towed?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: battery light is on, emergency brake light is on, powering steering out (difficult to steer), broken belt found in motor - FHI###-##-####MItusbishi
Category: Subaru
Expert:  nelson freitas replied 2 months ago.

hello,

It seems like all of your problems stem from the broken belt. the belt powers your power steering pump, alternator and usually your A/C and sometimes a few more pulleys.

You could try to drive it to a local shop if it is not too far away. problem with driving any distance is that you may run out of battery power since the alternator is not being turned by the engine to generate power to recharge the battery. and once the battery dies, the engine will stall out.

I hope this information helps, please fell free to ask any other questions you may have.

Good luck

Nelson.

If i was helpful at all please leave feedback accordingly, thank you

Hey,

Did you get a chance to have that belt replaced? did it solve all of your problems?

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Nelson