Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Check engine light, code indicates intake leak. under

Customer Question

check engine light, code indicates intake leak. under accelerations sometimes feels like a miss
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on, cruise light blinks
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2007 impreza sti
JA: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, took to mechanic. they said they tightened intercooler hose and reset engine light. 60 miles later back on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 51k miles. no modification
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 19 days ago.

Do you know the actual code by chance?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Don't remember what mechanic said
Expert:  Mike V. replied 19 days ago.

Ok

The only code I can think of off the top of my head that might indicate a leak would be a lean condition code. Since their repair didn't resolve it, I suspect the issue to be a faulty mass air flow sensor. It's very common to get a lean mixture code when this fails.

Sometimes you can unplug it and then test drive the car to see if the misfire is still there. It basically puts the computer into a default mode. If it's running better, then I would replace the maf sensor.

This is the sensor bolted to the air filter box on the car. Unplugging it for testing will store a code, but since the light is on already it won't matter.

If you want to give it a try and see if it's any better, it's not really a bad test. Otherwise, I really should have the code to give you more detailed info on it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 17 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?