tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

My 2008 subaru outback has check engine light on, codes

Customer Question

My 2008 subaru outback has check engine light on, codes checked are transmission control sysmem, MiL request P0700 and Torque converter clutch circuit performance stuck off P0741. What is going on? What should I do. the car has 178,000 miles on it.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on. At oil temp light blinks, and cruise control light went on and stopped functioning
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I want to take it to a mechanic, but want to make sure its worth it to fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of. Thank you.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 25 days ago.

Hi,with as many miles you have on the vehicle you are definitely correct when you say is it worth fixing,this can be a very expensive repair on a component that has seen it better days,my advice is to take it to a mechanic that you trust and have a total evaluation of the vehicle done before you are about to spend on a transmission repair,with this code I have seen many things ,the most prominent would be a torque converter clutch solenoid and wiring harness, but have also seen faulty torque converters and transmission valve bodies which are very expensive,my suggestion would be a total evaluation first if it's in decent shape I would have the problem diagnosed and if it's a solenoid and or wiring I would go ahead if it's a torque converter or valve body I would lean towards a remanufactured unit ,hope this helps, thanks for your time

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
thanks a lot for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
Expert:  tamaz replied 25 days ago.

Your welcome!