Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

I have a question

Customer Question

Hi I have a question
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My car requires 91 octane and I accidentally put in 89 octane and now the engine is pinging what do I do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

No need to request a phone call, but please give me a moment to type my response.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

I would go to the parts store and get some octane booster and add it to the gas, then once you get to about half a tank, top it off with the 91 octane fuel until you can finally fill it with the 91.

This should help with the pinging so it's not a huge issue and it should prevent any problems with the engine.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i added octane booster and when i put in 93 octane fuel when it reached half the car is still giving me misfire and cel with other warning lights is still on. help pls
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Do you know what codes are being stored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a code reader or a accessport v3
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Vehicles in the US are required to run on 87 Octane fuel. So the fact that you put in lower octane fuel shouldn't be causing this problem. Since the car is still misfiring it's likely a problem with the ignition coil.

What is the year and model and engine size of this car please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a 2015 wrx 2.0l 4 cylinder
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Even being a wrx, it is suppose to run on 87 minimum.

So, I think the avenue to take here is to try and get the codes read to determine which cylinder is misfiring.

This might even be covered under warranty depending on the mileage.

Since this engine uses individual coils, it's possible one has failed. Most parts stores will read the codes for you at no charge, then at least you can replace the single coil on that particular cylinder.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the codes i received are P0303 and P0300
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Which are cylinder 3 misfire detected and random misfire deteced
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Passenger side rear cylinder is #3, as for the random misfire, you get that code when it cannot determine which one is misfiring. So, I would swap #3 with #1 which is the front one and see if the misfire moves with it. If it does, replace the coil, if not, then the cylinder itself must have a problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if the cylinder itself have issues then?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

If the cylinder itself has an issue it should be covered under warranty. Car's got a 5/60 on the engine and drivetrain. I would take it into Subaru and have it diagnosed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would the warranty cover ignition coils and spark plugs? Or only cylinder?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

The warranty on the coil would likely be in the 1yr/12k mile coverage and not the powertrain warranty. If the cylinder has a problem internally then there is an issue with the engine and that would be covered by the 5/60 Do not tell them about the low octane fuel. They would use any excuse not to cover it for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just tell them there is a check engine light?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

That's where I would start, tell them check engine light and it's running rough. If they find a bad coil you will likely have to pay, if it's worse, like an engine problem it should be covered

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The dealer said I would need to pay 7200 dollars cause my motor is blown is that a little too much?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Well, didn't see that coming.

Car was out of oil or something? Why are they not covering this under warranty?

Is it modded, I don't feel like I am getting the whole story and i am just being strung along here..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought it with a aftermarket exhaust system and they're refusing the warranty. The error codes I received are p0303 and p0300
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont see how my motor would be blown tho
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

I would contact Subaru customer service and talk to them about it.

I would also take the car for a second opinion, even if it's a non dealer. This isnt adding up at all here.

Jst tell the second shop you have a check engine light and see what they say.

Subarus customer service # is 1-800-subaru3 and the price tag is just about right on

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.

Do you need anymore help with this?
If not, please rate my answer.