Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2006 forester in the morning battery check poor and

Customer Question

2006 forester in the morning battery check poor and alternator check*****10 miles to work battery checks out good . driving home the check engine light and cruise control light go on . leaving the car running the alternator check out zero? replaced plugs wires coil battery.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: check engine is on cruise blinks. just had head gaskets replaced 260000 miles on car
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself. changed fuses, spark plugs and wires and coil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. I dont understand what you are trying to say, the battery checked poor, meaning what? 0 volts, but the alternator was putting out 14 volts? you drove to work then the battery was reading good? meaning how many volts? going home lights start blinking and the alternator was reading 0?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
battery tested poor red light 5 volts before starting car. once car was started alternator reads 14 volts, dive to work and shut off car battery reads 12.5 volts. on my way home check engine light comes on (not blinking-always on) and the cruise control light comes on (blinking) stop car and the alternator reads zero no volts. continue home and shut off car battery reads 5 volts. take positive lead off and computer says reset the car. in the am we do it all again.

you need to replace the alternator. either that or the connector for the internal voltage regulator that plugs into the alternator is damaged or the wiring for that connector is damaged. make sure the battery terminals are clean and very tight. alo follow the negative cable from the battery to where it bolts to the engine. make sure its tight.

hello??????

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Different expert here, do you still need help?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks