Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

A few months ago, my 04 Forester started having trouble

Customer Question

A few months ago, my 04 Forester started having trouble starting ONLY after refueling. After a few tanks of gas, I threw CEL code 1443. I replaced the purge valve near the charcoal canister. This did not fix the starting after refuel problem. Next, I replaced the vent control solenoid valve under the hood. This solved the problem. I cleared the CEL. I drove at least 3,000 miles with no CEL or starting issues. Today, my car did the same thing after gassing up and shortly after the CEL came on, 1443 again.
Any idea? Is it possible the vent solenoid failed? I did the green connector test and can feel a slight clicking when i touch it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any codes now? Have you replace the fuel filter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am getting code 1443 now, i have not replaced the fuel filter
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

While refueling

As the fuel enters the fuel tank, the tank inside pressure increases. When the inside pressure becomes higher than the atmospheric pressure, the port of the vent valve opens, allowing the fuel vapors to be introduced into the canister through the vent line. The fuel vapors are absorbed by charcoal in the canister, so the air discharged from the drain valve contains no fuel. When a filler gun is inserted, the shut-off valve closes the evaporation line.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Here is a diagram of the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

The most common problem for your 1443 is the vent solenoid valve needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Here is chart for the code you have.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your reply. As stated above, I already changed the vent control valve. I'm hoping you can help me determine if the new vent control valve had failed, or if something else is the cause of the code
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Did you use a oem part?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a genuine Subaru part
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You probably have another problem. I have seen spider webs in the vent hose cause this problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so I should try to clean out the vent hose that attaches to the charcoal canister?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Yes, check all the hoses and make sure none are clogged. Check the hoses that go up the filler neck too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've never done job like this. Do you have advice on how to best clean out/check the hoses? How do I access the hoses that go up the filler neck?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You sometimes have to drop the tank. We use compressed shop air to blow air through the hoses. Dropping the tank is a huge project on this. The rear end and exhaust need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I guess I am just confused why replacing the vent solenoid valve fixed the problem for 3,000+ miles. If i have a clogged hose, wouldnt the issue have remained after replacing the vent valve?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Evap codes take a while to return. Did you clear the codes after installing the new part?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It could be still letting some pressure out through the vent just not enough. It may not be a complete clog.