Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

How do I remove the camshaft on a H6 DOHC 3.0 Subaru Tribeca

how do I remove the camshaft on a H6 DOHC 3.0 Subaru Tribeca

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you. I' have a 2006 Subaru Tribeca HG DOHC and I'm replacing the Head Gasket. I have gotten to the Cam Shaft and I have no idea how to get it off. I have the timing chain and all the gears off.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. Thanks.

1. Remove the rear chain cover. 2.
  2. Loosen the camshaft cap bolts equally, a little at a time in number sequence shown in the figure.
  3. Remove the plugs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have these direction already and there is still no way to get the cam shafts out

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

.

*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********

.

.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a 2006 Subaru Tribeca and I need help. I am replacing the head gasket and I have gotten to to the cam shaft and I can not figure out how to get them out. I have the timing chain and all the gears off. I also have everything off the camshaft that I can see but I'm stuck. Everyone keeps sending me stuff for a 2.5 that has a timing belt or the process that the outback takes but this motor is not the same. I can send pictures if it helps.

Hi there. Different expert here.

I have the correct information for the 3.0L engine and can probably help you if you're doing this the way we did it at the dealer, with the engine out of the vehicle. Is that how you're doing it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it is not. I made the mistake of not taking it out. I have done a bunch of the 2.5 and was dumb not realizing how different they are.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have everything off and now Im at the point where I need to take the cam shafts off so I can remove the head and that's where I'm lost. I have the chain sprockets valve cover everthing off.

I can't help you if the engine is still on the vehicle. I'll opt out and open your request to the field so other experts may chime in if they have a way to do it other than what the factory recommends. Please do not rate or reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this chat back to me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you send me the direction with it out. I'll pull it. But I still need to know how to get the cam shaft out.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there.please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z9a7dcdwenft6t/1020-subaru-Camshaft.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/9z9a7dcdwenft6t/1020-subaru-Camshaft.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already have these instruction and they will not come out this way. That's why I got on here cause these instruction don't work. I can send you pictures if it helps. I need some help badly please. Have you ever removed the cam shafts on a H6 DOHC Engine?

You must remove the engine and put it on a stand before removing the cam shafts. If you take them out in the car the buckets will fall out and you will never be able to get them back into the correct spot, the valve lash shims are different thicknesses.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the engine out and I'm still stuck. Now what do I do to get the camshafts out.

There is a front and rear timing cover that needs to be removed.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto Technician
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please send me the step by step instruction. Cause I do not see that. It's a 2006 Subaru Tribeca H6 DOHC camshaft removal step by step.

Click on the screen where it says. Enter contact info. Enter your email and I will send you this right away.

I am a dealer tech at Subaru dealer so I have done many of these before.

Still waiting on contact info.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for checking. I'm wondering if I have to remove the front plate.

Yes, send me your email and I will send over the steps. I have to log off very soon.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

sent