tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience

2013 Subaru outback this vehicle only has 12K miles leaking

Customer Question

2013 Subaru outback this vehicle only has 12K miles leaking water on passanger floorboard
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: Yes, it has no odor happens when it rains.
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just checking for answers if it is simple.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I put down towels and changed them when they get wet Is there a drain in sunroof?
Submitted: 2 day ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 day ago.

Hi , yes there are 4 drains one at each corner of the car,there also is a evaporator drain that sometimes clogs with spider webs and fills the case,when this happens the heater case will fill with water then drip onto passenger floor.To check if either are the problem we can try two simple things, to check if evap drain is clogged run vehicle with a/c on if drain is not clogged you should see water dripping under the vehicle,to check sunroof drains for proper operation open sunroof fully open both front doors and while standing on either sill pour a cup of water into the drain channel you should see water exiting from the area of the mudflaps in the front and rear from each side,let me know what you find ,I'll await our reply,thanks

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I poured water and it came out both sides on front and tight side on back. I did not see any water on back left. I don't think there was enough water or I was not tilted down hill. Ran car with AC on for a few minutes and a smallereally spot appeared more toward front center passanger side. I will mention the last week were torrential downpours and my eyesight would say no eyesight during these excessive raining periods. I hope it would not be my heater core because the is only 12,000 miles on this like new vehicle. Thank you very much Tamaz! My roommates name is*****��
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 day ago.

Thanks Pam,Tamaz is a combo of my first and last name but been told this is a Spanish version of Thomas,depending on you location you may or may not get a lot of water from the evap drain,if you live in a area that is hot/humid this puddle forming under your car can be quite large, being from the Northeast where it is cooling down some you may only get a spattering, the A/C job is to remove moisture from the air to cool it so that drain is essential to being clear.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
what do you think it is? Is there anything else to try?
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 day ago.

Pam, also I would like to mention if this drain is clogged it is usually very simple to free, blowing compressed air though it will free the clog,other than the 2 things I mentioned it's possible the windshield may be leaking then following the pillar down and soaking the carpet, have you recently had a windshield replaced?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Not sure about the windshield, I bought the car from someone at 9000 miles. Can you tell me how to blow air down the drain, I do have an air compressor Might have to wait for my bf to come home from Alaska!
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 day ago.

You need a blow gun that attaches to the the compressor hose first and there are 2 ways to get at the hose the easiest would be from the engine compartment ,the hose comes off the firewall just below the frame rail blow the compressed air into the hose to free the drain,if its easier for you you can also get at the hose from underneath

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Okay Tamaz, Thank you
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 day ago.

Your welcome Pam!