tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Awake this early? 2005 outback I (2.5 non-turbo) original

Customer Question

Hi, awake this early?
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2005 outback I (2.5 non-turbo)
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: original problem: No backup lights, bulbs and fuses all okay. Thought it might be the inhibitor switch. Prior to unplugging the harness for that part where it plugs into the cable through the firewall, there were no OBD codes. After I had messed with it, get P0851.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: Yes, I have checked both fuse panels. the fuses that feeds backup lights were both okay
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know the switch is readily available after-market for $60-80, but the sheath from that switch up into engine compartment (around 1.5 feet long) is hard to find. Wondering about what Subaru is gonna charge to replace that cable, assuming it truly got messed up by my unplugging it.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Subaru Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: I'll consider it, but I can't get to my wallet right now. Can you like give me a case # ***** which I can return in a few hours, where I have cc ready?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 month ago.

Hi,your on the right track here,the inhibitor switch seems to be the fault but before replacing I'm wondering if you tested voltage and ground to the back-up lamps?If your car also has trailer wiring I would remove this before testing also,as to the P0851 code this is a inhibitor switch code which may have been set with because it was removed with the key on possibly,one more thing does the PRNDL light or reference which position shifter is in?