Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

I Have a 2000 outback with a flashing at temp light. Did the

Customer Question

I Have a 2000 outback with a flashing at temp light. Did the hand shake and get code 79. I believe that is the transfer clutch duty solenoid. How do i test this and what kind of seal or gasket goes between the transmission and the rear case if i remove it to replack the solenoid.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 5 days ago.

Hi,you are correct code 79 deals with the transfer duty solenoid which is a common problem with this transmission,to test you will need a ohm meter the meter should rear across the terminals 10-17 ohms in most cases you will get a infinite reading if you get zero the solenoid is shorted internally.To get at the solenoid the rear case will need to be removed which has a steel gasket between the halves you will also need about 7 quarts of dextron3 fluid ,let me know if you need more help,thanks for your time.