Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium, 4 cyl. On the

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium, 4 cyl. On the highway the car runs well and no issues, when I am in stop and go traffic there is a noticeable (light/sm) down shift from 5-4 and 4-3 gear. The car is equipped with a Lineartronic CVT (w/ 6 speed manual mode) and from what I understand, should not have as stepdown and should be smooth when shifting thru gears. All Services and maintenance has been done on time and had an oil change done 1mth ago.....127000mi. Is it the TCU/TCM that needs to be re-mapped-how much does it cost? Fuel filter/assembly replacement? Fuel Injectors clogged? Torque converter? Should I just disconnect the battery?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

This downshift feel is it when applying throttle to accelerate aggressive or when coasting or braking to a stop?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Coasting to a stop. So...breaking.

When this happens do you get a sudden jerk with speed decrease and a sudden rise in rpm?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No. Coast to break, then sm jerk somewhere between 15-25mi. Are you west, central, east coast?

I live in central but am on vacation now on the east coast.

If the trans oil has not been serviced then I recommend that be done, have the throttle body cleaned, and have the transmission control module updated to the most recent level to address this concern. I do not feel like this is going to result in any internal trans repairs being needed.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Trans oil was replaced at 95,000mi. Clean the Throttle body with Seafoam or by mechanic/shop?

I normally clean the throttle body while open using brake cleaner and a tooth brush.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I take my outback to the dealerahip or trans shop to have the TCM updated? Do I have them wipe and set?. .....I dont understand what you mean having the TCM "set to the most recent level".

The update has to be done by a dealer.

Manufacturers are constantly finding ways to make past and present cars work better through computer programming. So they release these updates for dealers to upload into cars with issues to see if those updates resolve vehicle concerns without the need for parts replaced.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Chris,Sorry, I have not rated you yet. I have not gone to the dealership to get the TCM reset and updated to see if this is the fix. Did clean the throttle body and did improve a bit. Other than what is mentioned, what else can cause the step down?

If the update is not helping, then it would be time to go into the trans to make internal repairs.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Could fuel filter at the tank be the culprit?

Fuel pressure loss would result in the engine stalling or trying to stall, a misfire feel. I do not believe your getting any of those symptoms.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris