Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Iam smelling gas/ exhaust fumes in my cabin. check all the

Customer Question

iam smelling gas/ exhaust fumes in my cabin. check all the fules lines etc. dont know what it could be
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: ehh kinda. the gas gauge ismt the moist accuarte. it runs alright. but i have noticed it like bawg down around 40 mph and 80 mph. only for a half sec
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i work on all my cars myself. i cleaned my air filter, checked for leaks. havnt seen nothing. i have put sea foam in the gas to clean out the injectors.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yea could it be my fuel injectors even though they arent leaking or throwing a code?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'am available now

With an exhaust leak you need to check around the exhaust manifolds, joints, and welds to see if there is a sign of black soot which indicates the source of a leak allowing fumes to exit the exhaust and enter the fresh air intake. Sometimes using duct tape to cover 60%% of the exhaust tip flow then pouring a small amount of oil into the throttle body to cause smoke will help you find a leak where the oil smoke exits.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris