Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

We have a 202 outback, and we put all new hoses radiator and

Customer Question

we have a 202 outback, and we put all new hoses radiator and thermastat on it, and the second radiator just blew after only 110 miles
JA: Has the vehicle overheated in the past? And what about servicing? Is it up-to-date on oil changes?
Customer: yes
JA: What year is your Outback?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My sons are mechanics, and they are helping us do it. we have changed all the hoses the thermastat, and radiator,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this second time it the radiator blew after 110 miles
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like you have excessive "back pressure", which can be caused from Exhaust entering the Cooling System from a head gasket leak near a Cylinder or bad water pump not circulating the coolant when the thermostat opens

You need to have a Reputable Radiator Shop perform a Exhaust Gas & Pressure Test.
Be sure Radiator Cap is correct Cap
Many times a bad head gasket or crack will not show in the exhaust pipe & cause extreme back pressure

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay but, we changed radiators, thermostat, all the hoses. After we burped the radiator, It was running smooth and fine. My husband drove it up and down the mountain with the heater on and then up and down with the air conditioner on, and it didn't over heat. after 48 miles. So we continued to drive it. it was at 109 miles put on it when it over heated again., Like I said motor was running smooth no missing or anything. Could this still be the head casket?

thank you for the "added info",
yes could be gasket, as it takes time for exhaust pressure to build on a "small leak"
I still would have a Reputable Radiator Shop perform a Exhaust Gas & Pressure Test.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.