Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. The rear gate won't open

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. The rear gate won't open automatically. When I press the open/close button inside the car or on the gate, it chirps twice, but doesn't open. I tried resetting it per the manual, but still no luck.
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I trying to fix it myself. I followed the instructions in the manual in section 2-34.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I work at the Subaru dealer as a tech. Check the rod that attaches to the motor it probably came off and can simply be reattached. I have replaced these rods before if it continues to come off.

The rod is on the drivers side behind the trim panel, but it does not need to be removed.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you send me a picture of where the rod is located and what the rod looks like?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I am not able to send the picture here. Its on the drivers side. You will see the rod when the gate is open. It goes into the plastic trim panel on the drivers side and attaches to the motor there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I located the rod on the driver's side. I removed the trim cover to see behind the trim panel. I wasn't able to determine if the rod came off. The gate moves up and down manually. When it was in the open position at the top, I moved the lock/unlock switch located behind the trim to the lock position. The gate would not move up or down. I then moved the switch to the unlock position and the gate move up and down again. Based on what I have described here, do you still think the rod has come off?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.
There is also a recalibration procedure that can be done, the dealer should be able to do this under warranty.