George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years

I am looking for a compact suv with good mpg, cargo space,

Customer Question

I am looking for a compact suv with good mpg, cargo space, great handling and the ability to go off road. I have test driven multiple suvs (crv, rav4, equinox, etc.) And everything I have seen, driven and researched points towards the Subaru Forester. I am looking for a used model for either 2012 or 2013. I can't afford a brand new car. Like I said before the car experience I had with the Forrester was great and I absolutely loved it....there is one problem/concern.
I've done my research on the forester in terms of consuser reviews, customer reviews and car comparisons. I have heard many cases where the head gasket is needed to be replaced, or the oil is burned. I know subaru has a reputation of being reliable but reading these kind of complaints over and over again has me concerned. Should I be particularly worried that, if I were to buy a subaru, would have a likely chance of seeing this problem? I want a car that I can rely and don't have to baby. What is the likelihood of getting a faulty subaru? Any feedback helps thanks
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 14 days ago.

Hello I will help,

Yes, somewhere between 100 and 120,000 miles you can expect to have the head gaskets replaced or the pistons and rings replaced.

Just one of the joys of owning a horizontally opposed engine but the Forester is the vehicle you want. It meets the needs and as long as you buy with your expectations in order you will have the vehicle you want.

Let me know how I can help