Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.

I have a 1997 Subaru legacy outback. I am having a problem

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Subaru legacy outback. I am having a problem with the hazard lights flashing and the car will not start. I have tried every combination to reset the alarm system that is available from reading online forums and such. Including removing neg. battery cable, and reconnecting with ignition in on position. As well as multiple different methods of resetting it with the black button under the dash. I noticed that there are no wires connected to keyless entry module for the starter interlock so I completely removed the keyless entry module and the lights are still blinking and the starter doesn't even attempt to crank over no click nothing even with fully charged jumper pack connected to battery. I am stumped as to why my car will not start even though the starter interlock was not even connected to the keyless entry module? As well as what is causing my hazard flashers and dash lights to flash constantly. The only thing I have found to stop the lights from flashing is lock the car with driver door lock button while all doors are closed except driver door and close driver door, it quits but as soon as you open the door back up it begins flashing again?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  mike switzer replied 15 days ago.

when you get the lights to stop flashing have you tried to start the vehicle then before you shut the door?