john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

ABS light and parking brake light and battery light on. Just

Customer Question

ABS light and parking brake light and battery light on. Just replaced battery - it was way low - but lights still on.
JA: Have you checked your brake fluid? The reservoir is located under the hood near the dash.
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2007 subaru forester with turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we changed the battery - that is all. Now the radio is also not working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - I think that is it
Category: Subaru
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 months ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
have you scanned for codes?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No - this just started last night. My son was driving the car, and the ABS light, battery light, and Brake light came on. ABS intermittent. We looked it up and said battery or alterantor, so we took battery in. they said it was dead, so we got a new one and installed it. Now Brake and battery light are on while parked and also stereo says System check.
?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you think it could be?

can you scan the abs system? That is telling you the abs system has a fault code?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not own a scanner. I am at home.
The ABS dash light came on, along with the battery light and Brake dash light.

do you have a parts store near you?

abs and brake light come on together we need to get the system scanned for faults?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
O'Reilly's - why?

they may be able to scan it for free...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Parts stores in our area do not scan for free. They do not scan.
I was trying this service before taking it to a mechanic to scan it and paying them. I was hoping you would have some information.

ok they do offer this service in some areas....the abs and brake light come on when a sensor in the abs system has failed...we need to access a scan tool with abs functions to diagnose properly

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, that is not too helpful. I will take it to a mechanic, pay them, and then they will scan an fix it - I hope.
What about the info I got from internet that this would be related to the alternator failing. Also, the battery was super low apparently and not properly charging.

that would only be true if the battery light was also on...if the battery light was not on the info you gathered online was inaccurate

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery light is on. ABS, Battery, Brake lights - and now stereo says "system check"

ok so did they check charging voltage? after the battery install? is the alternator charging at over 14 volts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We brought the battery home to the car, installed it, and started the car. The lights still came on. At least the battery and brake dash lights came on and the stereo came up with the "system check" message. We have not driven the car since putting in the new battery and do not have anything to check the charging voltage. Would driving it around make any difference?

usually not... if you pull the positive battery cable does the car stall? is it dark where you are?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is light here. You mean turn it on in the driveway and then pull the positive battery cable off while it is running?

if its light there i would drive it to a parts store with no heat /or ac running ..no lights on and no radio...so you can keep the loads on the battery a minimum... This was alternator voltage can be checked correctly

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Parts stores only sell parts. At least here. They will not check the alternator.

do you have a autozone or advance auto near you? they usully offer this service free

http://www.autozone.com/inourstores/services.jsp

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I called and they do check alternator. We can take the car there tomorrow. It's a few miles but not bad.

please let me know....its probably a failed alternator...but a free test will determine

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess I will continue this tomorrow when I know more.

ok sounds good...i am on and off during the day...so it may not be instant