Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My rear passenger window motor seems to be out. 2002 Outback

Customer Question

my rear passenger window motor seems to be out.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 2002 Outback wagon VDC (H6 motor), AT. trying to get the window up
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: used test light to ensure power to switch and motor got juice at switch and at motor when operating switch...but window stays down
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 17 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

If you are getting power and ground on the 2 wire connector at the motor when commanded up and down. Then it is your motor or window regulator that is faulty.

Do you need any diagrams to repair this?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I think it's motor too. I have the motor and regulator out. Is there a good way to keep the window up and in place since there is no door frame. The window tilts forward and back using wood blocks.

You could install the regulator and raise the glass, then install the faulty motor back in place. You could duct tape the glass to the body so it will stay up.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I took apart the motor and cleaned the commutator and brushes with 1500 grit sandpaper. I got everything back in and it works but the polarity is backwards so up and the switch puts the window down and vice versa. Also, the window does not line up properly and it is difficult to shut the door and raise the window all the way. I ended up breaking a small plastic piece. I think it should have gone in a track on the regulator. How do I get the polarity switch back to normal? Can I buy just the plastic piece i broke an replace it? How to I get it installed properly once I do?
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 16 days ago.

I am not sure on this plastic piece since I can not see it. You can take it to your local dealer to see if they can order it.

You can swap the window wires to change the polarity.

Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 11 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris